Sleep Apnea Therapy – Spring Lake, NJ
Sleep Soundly with the Right Treatment
Are you among the 22 million adults in America who live with obstructive sleep apnea? If you suffer from loud chronic snoring and deal with daytime fatigue, Dooley Dental has the solutions you need. Dr. Edward J. Dooley provides more than just general dentistry. Supported by 30 years of experience, he is also qualified to treat the sleep disorder. He offers the personalized treatments you need for sleep apnea in Wall Township to help you breathe better.
What is Sleep Apnea?
Sleep apnea is a disorder that makes you to stop breathing frequently throughout the night. The most common cause of the condition is from an obstruction in your airway. The soft tissues in the back of your mouth and throat collapse while you sleep. This not only causes loud snoring, but it will also make you stop breathing. Each interruption can last for as long as one minute with several hundred occurring each night.
Signs of Sleep Apnea
Although the only complications of the disorder may appear to be loud snoring at first, over time it can take a serious toll on your health and your quality of life. You may experience a diversity of symptoms, such as:
- Loud, chronic snoring.
- Waking choking or gasping for air.
- Waking with a sore or dry throat.
- Daytime fatigue.
- Morning time headaches.
- Sleep deprivation.
- Memory loss.
- Irritability and mood swings.
- Loss of cognitive abilities.
Risk Factors for Sleep Apnea
Sleep apnea can occur in anyone, no matter your age or gender; however, there are certain risk factors that can increase your odds of it.
- Large neck circumference.
- High blood pressure.
- Over the age of 50.
- Being male.
Sleep Apnea Therapy
Although you might be a bit surprised your dentist offers the solutions you need for sleep apnea, it is quite common. Dr. Dooley has a firm understanding of your oral structures and how they can affect your airways. After evaluating the results of your sleep study and performing a comprehensive examination, he finds the best treatment plan to meet your needs and your lifestyle.
- CPAP: A CPAP is the most traditional treatment for sleep apnea. A machine delivers a steady stream of air through a mask worn over your mouth or nose. The gentle pressure helps keep your airways open to maintain your oxygen levels.
- Oral Appliance Therapy: Now, many patients prefer oral appliance therapy as an alternative to a CPAP. A custom-fit device repositions your jaw forward to prevent your soft tissues from blocking your airways to reduce pauses in breathing.
- Combined Treatment: In some cases, you may benefit from a combination of both treatments. This is often recommended for those who have severe cases of the condition or those who are having a difficult time adjusting to a CPAP.
Breathe Better Today!
Do not let sleep apnea keep you awake at night. Dooley Dental has the solutions you need to sleep soundly. Contact our office today to schedule your consultation for sleep apnea therapy.